In the second half of the XV century Pavia, like Milan, planned to build its own cathedral. Finally, on June 29th, 1488, the construction work started. On June 16th 1518 the “Fabbrica del Duomo” bought from Crevola’s community a marble quarry, in which all the best stonemasons were called to extract and cut the blocks, to find the materials to build the monument.
The Crevola’s marbles travelled without paying taxes thanks to the great privilege given by Francesco II Sforza, duke of Milan, a privilege that was granted to a few and that clearly witness the importance and and the consideration that the building of this monument had.
Crevola’s quarry was used for many centuries and for this reason it was also known as Pavia’s Quarry.
The Arch of Peace was conceived to welcome Napoleon on the road that connected Milan to Paris and its construction represents one of the most important projects in Milan’s public construction sector of the XIXth century.
Crevola’s marble was used to build the eight monumental monolithic columns, the sculptures, especially the colossal rivers’ statues and the decorative and plain parts. The transport of the columns was a very complex engineering undertaking as the columns, 12,63 m tall with a diameter of 1,67 m, were made of a single marble block. To succeed in transporting them from the quarry to the river Toce special chariots were built to resist to the weight without breaking into pieces. At the same time, the itinerary was very important too: bridges, obstacles and every little detail of the path to follow was analyzed by Engineer Giroldi, who was chosen to organize all the transportation plan. Today we can read every detail of this engineering challenge thanks to Giuseppe Frattini that published Giroldi’s book of technical notes.